26 February 2007
3-Cone Champions at the 2007 NFL Combine
WR Anthony Gonzalez
I try to take in the total player concept, on the field performance (production), level of competition, speed, size, quickness, toughness, smarts and athletic ability, but one measurable that I look closely at every year at the NFL Combine is the 3-cone drill. The 3-cone drill measuers an athletes quickness and change of direction better than the 40 yard dash in my opinion, and over the years the college prospects that had the top 3-cone times tend to be better NFL players. Here is a brief look at some of the top performances in the 3-cone drill at the 2007 NFL Combine.
1. WR Anthony Gonzalez, Ohio State, 6' 0" 193 lbs: 6.54 seconds in the 3-cone.
2. WR Steve Smith, USC, 5' 11" 197 lbs: 6.68 seconds in the 3-cone.
3. RB Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois, 5' 7" 175 lbs: 6.69 seconds in the 3-cone.
4. TE Kevin Boss, Western Oregon, 6' 6" 260 lbs: 6.96 seconds in the 3-cone.
5. OT Adam Koets, Oregon State, 6' 6" 294 lbs: 7.44 seconds in the 3-cone.